These jobs are best for people who like to cook or bake. They may work in kitchens or on production lines. These workers often slice and chop different foods. They may arrange foods on plates and trays.
Here is a list of jobs where you prepare food:
- Bakers work in bakeries, restaurants, hotels, and hospitals. They make different kinds of breads, cakes, cookies, pies, and other baked goods. This is an Easy Reading job profile.
- Cooks prepare food. They work in restaurants, hotels, hospitals, schools, and other places. This is an Easy Reading job profile.
- Meat cutters cut meat and fish. They prepare sausages and other meat products. They work in meat processing plants, meat shops, and grocery stores. This is an Easy Reading job profile.
- Caterers make food for parties, meetings, and other events. They take the food to customers’ homes and businesses. Caterers often have their own businesses.
- Kitchen helpers get food ready to cook. For example, they wash and slice vegetables. Sometimes they package takeout orders. They pass food orders to other workers.
- Food assemblers often work on a production line. For example, they make trays of food for hospitals, cafeterias, and airlines. They put food on plates. They work in restaurants or cafeterias making salads and sandwiches. They prepare ice cream and fruit desserts.
If you think you might like a job where you prepare food, continue reading. You'll learn more about what it's like to work these jobs.
Maybe these jobs don't interest you. That's OK. It just means that your interests line up better with other types of jobs. Do the exercise on Find the Best Job: What Do You Like to Do? to find other types of jobs that might match your interests. Or see the full list of job types.
Complete the following exercises to learn more about jobs where you prepare food.
What will you do next?
Now you have 2 choices.
1. You can read about other types of jobs
There are 7 other types of jobs to explore:
- Jobs Where You Clean Things
- Jobs Where You Drive or Move Things
- Jobs Where You Help or Serve People
- Jobs Where You Make or Fix Things
- Jobs Where You Protect Things or People
- Jobs Where You Sell Things to People
- Jobs Where You Work With Living Things
What other types of jobs interest you? It’s good to have a few job choices. Review your check marks on the What Do You Like to Do? exercise. Did you choose other types of jobs? You can read about those jobs. You can also ask your career advisor or tutor to help you choose another type of job.
2. Make some job choices
You have made a list of job choices from the types of jobs that interest you. You are ready for the next step. Now read Narrow Down Your Job Choices. It has exercises to help you find the jobs that are best for you. You'll also learn how to find more information on your top job choices.